Mahinda Rajapakse, who went on to win and Sarath Fonseka were two key candidates in Sri Lanka’s presidential election held on 26 January 2010. For around six week, the websites archived here on 27 January 2010 contained information on issues, policies and practices championed by both candidates. They also carried the usual propaganda and counter-propaganda.
These archives don’t include the content on social networking sites like Facebook, Twitter and Flickr, along with entries in Wikipedia.
Of interest here is http://www.sfbalakaya.com, set up as a spoof with the clear intent of deriding Sarath Fonseka in the guise of being his official website. This site was particularly pernicious because of its publication of completely false information pegged to real individuals and organisations.
- Download http://www.mahinda2010.lk here.
- Download http://www.sarathfonseka.com here.
- Download http://www.sfbalakaya.com here.
Other content from the 2010 election:
- The election manifestos of Mahinda Rajapaksa and Sarath Fonseka.
- Letter to the Elections Commissioner by Sarath Fonseka.
- Mahinda Rajapaksa‘s social media accounts.
- Sarath Fonseka‘s social media accounts. ZIP file with all of Fonseka’s Flickr photos here.
- YouTube channel of Mahinda Rajapaksa’s campaign. Archive of 114 videos here. High-resolution capture of original YouTube channel homepage here.
- YouTube channel of Sarath Fonseka’s campaign. Archive of 76 videos here. High-resolution capture of original YouTube channel homepage here.
- Other reports, campaign material and documents here.